Before you can be placed on the payroll, the required hiring forms must be completed. If you started working and have not been paid, please contact Human Resource Services.
Once you have been placed on the payroll, you will be responsible for adhering to the hours requirement of your assistantship. Please review the following sections carefully:
Work Hour Allowances and Limitations
Graduate Assistantship appointments following the following hour allowances and limitations:
- Full-time (50% FTE) - 20 hours per week
- Three-quarter (37% FTE) - 15 hours per week
- Half-time (25% FTE) - 10 hours per week
A student may hold two graduate assistantships for which the terms of appointment overlap, only if each of the assistantships is half-time during the period of overlap and if together the hours of the appointment do not exceed 20 per week.
The maximum number of hours that an international student may work is 20 hours a week, including during vacation periods. If more than one department employs the student, the student will need to ensure that the total number of work hours does not exceed 20.
Pay Periods and Payday
All employees are paid on a semi-monthly basis. The first payday is the 15th day of each month or prior business day if the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday. The second payday each month is the last business day of each month.
Payroll checks and direct deposit will not be released until the scheduled payday for each pay period. To view your payroll check online go to the MyNIU HR system.
Pay Distribution Policy
It is the policy of the university to distribute all pay by means of electronic direct deposit. Temporary exceptions must be authorized by payroll. In the event that a paper paycheck is produced, the following applies:
- Employee Pick Up: Employees are expected to pickup payroll checks in person and to present identification at that time. Employees are not expected to use work time. Employees may make arrangements, in coordination with their supervisors, to pick up their paychecks on the scheduled pay date at the designated Human Resource Service Center located in Swen Parson.
The Payroll distribution center distributes paychecks on payday only between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- U. S. Mail Distribution: Paychecks that are not picked up by employees on payday are mailed to the employees’ home address. The HRIS home address is updated automatically using the permanent address in the student system.
The University is required to include deductions from all federal and state taxes.
Student employees are exempt from paying FICA taxes when enrolled for at least 6 hours in the fall and spring and 3 hours in the summer.