In accordance with the Illinois Civil Service Statute and Rules (Chapter VI, Section 250.70) and University Policies, a student must meet the following criteria to be considered for hire as a student employee:
Fall and Spring Semesters
A student may be hired as a student worker for the fall and spring semester if:
- The student must be registered for a minimum of 6 credit hours.
- The student must have a GPA of 2.0 or above if they are an undergraduate, and a GPA of 3.0 or above if they are a graduate student. If the student employee does not meet the minimum GPA requirement, see the Academic Probation permit on the Human Resource website.
A student may be hired as a student worker for the summer semester if:
- The student is enrolled for at least 3 credit hours during the summer semester; or
- The student was enrolled as a student during the spring semester for a minimum of 6 semester hours; or
- The student has indicated their intention to be registered for the Fall semester for a minimum of 6 semester hours.
- The student must have a GPA of 2.0 or above if they are an undergraduate, and a GPA of 3.0 or above if they are a graduate student. If the student employee does not meet the minimum GPA requirement see the Academic Probation section of this manual.
Note: Students taking less than three semester hours during the summer are subject to FICA deductions.
If the student does not meet the above listed 6-hour enrollment requirement for the fall and spring semester, the student will need to be hired as Extra Help, and processed through Contracts, Records, and Reports.
International Students on a visa must, in accordance with INS regulations, be enrolled for a minimum of 12 hours during the fall and spring semesters to qualify for student employment and are subject to the same GPA requirements as non-international students. Graduate students are required to maintain 9 credit hours, with the exception of students holding assistantships. Graduate students on assistantships must maintain 6 credit hours. International students are not required to attend summer session and may work 37.5 hours during the summer.