April 3, 2017
To: NIU Faculty and Staff
From: Laura Alexander, Senior Associate Vice President, Human Resource Services
RE: Flextime Procedures relevant to the 2017 Summer Work Schedule
In 2017, NIU will continue a 5-day operations schedule during the summer months. Accordingly, university departments and offices will be required to maintain full operations on a 5-day basis. During the summer months, as during the academic year, flextime arrangements will be allowable subject to operational requirements. It is anticipated that supervisors will work to accommodate staff schedule preferences within the guidelines of this procedure, although it is recognized this may not always be feasible for the unit.
Subject to operational needs and divisional procedures, the university will provide approved flextime options to employees whose work schedule is not currently covered by a collective bargaining agreement. Many NIU employees desire more flexible schedules during the summer months. This policy is intended to facilitate summer schedule flexibility for employees during the period of June 5, 2017, through August 11, 2017.
Within a weekly 50-hour time period (7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.), employees and supervisors may work together to develop summer work schedules compatible with department responsibilities and operational needs. It is essential that offices be open and adequately staffed with peak periods fully covered. Any unit instituting flextime schedules must maintain a documentable full-time level of service.
Summer flextime schedules are subject to supervisory approval and divisional policies, and supervisors are accountable for the maintenance of full service capacity. As dictated by circumstances, approved flextime schedules may be modified by the supervisor or revert to a normal schedule (normally with a minimum one-week notice) if unforeseen operational needs require staff availability or if circumstances impact the availability of the unit’s staff members.
Please note that these flex guidelines describe options that apply to hourly employees; however, flexible schedules for salaried employees are also subject to operational needs during the summer and on a year-round basis.
The following guidelines apply to summer flextime:
- All offices must remain fully functional on the normal academic year schedule, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The Unit Administrator is responsible for ensuring office functionality.
- Breaks may not be accumulated.
- Lunch breaks of at least one-half hour are required.
- Hourly employees must arrange 37.5 hour schedules with their supervisor prior to June 5, 2017, with the expectation that the schedule will be maintained until August 11, 2017.
- Employees who request and are granted a flexible schedule during the summer may be required to modify these work schedules subject to operational needs.
- Rules on accrual and compensation of overtime are in effect; if a flex schedule is approved, overtime accrues only if an hourly employee is asked to work beyond the approved schedule on a daily basis or in excess of 37.5 hours in the work week. The supervisor is responsible for ensuring proper documentation of hours worked and applicable overtime.
- During the week of July 3, 2017, to July 7, 2017, employee schedules will revert to normal hours (e.g., Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., one-hour lunch, 7.5 hour day), such that all full-time employees will receive 7.5 hours pay for the July 4th holiday (Tuesday, July 4, 2017) prorated based on FTE for those employees who are less than full-time.
- Under suggested flextime options for summer 2017, employees may work one of three options:
- 4-day work schedule: Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., 40-minute lunch (9.4 hour day for three days and 9.3 for one). Employees may work an alternative, Tuesday through Friday, four-day schedule subject to staffing requirements for Mondays.
- 5-day work schedule: Modified work schedule consisting of 37.5 hours per week (not including the lunch break), Monday through Friday, with no less than ½ day of work on Friday morning or Friday afternoon.
- 5-day work schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., one-hour lunch (7.5 hour day)
Divisional vice presidents are committed to accommodating flextime schedule requests to the maximum extent possible within the context of operational and service requirements for our campus community. To demonstrate this commitment, flextime options should be made available on a reasonably consistent basis. Supervisors of units in which flextime is not possible should consult with divisional leadership before announcing these decisions to staff. Where feasible, flextime may be instituted using shared services models, as long as operational needs are addressed.
Supervisors are responsible for documenting time worked for payroll purposes in accordance with university procedures and provisions of the State Employees and Officials Ethics Act.
Inquiries concerning implementation of the 2017 summer work schedule and flextime procedures should be forwarded to either Human Resource Services (753-6000) or Rhonda Wybourn (753-6023).