Flexible Spending Accounts
The State of Illinois provides employees with IRS tax-favored Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) to stretch medical expense and dependent care dollars. Effective July 1, 2014, ConnectYourCare is the plan administrator for the FSA Program. Flexible Spending Accounts feature:
- IRS-approved reimbursement of eligible expenses tax-free
- Per-pay period deposits from your pretax salary
- Savings on income and Social Security taxes
- Security of paying anticipated eligible expenses with your FSA
If you spend $240 or more per year on recurring eligible expenses, you may save money by paying for them with an FSA. When you enroll in an FSA, you decide the amount you want deducted from your salary each pay period. That amount will be deducted each pay period prior to income and Social Security taxes being taken, saving you income and Social Security taxes each time you receive wages. Visit the "Account Savings Calculators" at ConnectYourCare to determine your potential savings.
- The Medical Care Assistance Plan (MCAP) allows members to pay eligible out-of-pocket medical, dental, prescription and vision expenses incurred during the plan year with tax-free dollars. Effective July 1, 2019, the maximum annual contribution will be $2,700.
- The Dependent Care Assistance Plan (DCAP) allows members to pay eligible child and/or adult day care expenses incurred during the plan year with tax-free dollars. The maximum contribution amount per plan year is $5,000.
Employees can enroll in MCAP and DCAP anytime during the year upon experiencing a qualifying change in status event that is consistent with enrollment into the program. All employees who enroll in MCAP will receive one ConnectYourCare debit card at no cost (additional cards for dependents can be requested via the ConnectYourCare website). When using the card, expenses are automatically deducted from your MCAP account. Although most transactions paid with the card do not need follow-up documentation, some transactions will require substantiation documentation. Transactions that do require documentation will be indicated on the ConnectYourCare website. Participants must submit the required documentation to ConnectYourCare.
For additional information about claim reimbursements, service dates and links to forms go to CMS - Flexible Spending Accounts Program.
Need more information?
Call the HRS Service Center at 815-753-6000 and ask to be connected to one of our HR associates.
Connect Your Care
FSA Plan Administrator