Position Classification Review (Desk Audit)
Human Resource Services determines the classification of a position based on the currently assigned duties and responsibilities detailed in the job description. It is important that the job description is updated as the duties change to ensure that the position is properly classified.
In accordance with Civil Service System Rule 250.30 (f)(1), "An employee, whose position is reallocated or reclassified, shall be eligible for continued employment in the position which is reallocated or reclassified, provided she/he establishes eligibility for such a new class. She/he may establish eligibility by meeting the minimum qualifications for the new class to which the position has been reallocated or reclassified, and by passing an examination for the new class. She/he must complete a probationary period in the position in the new class."
Statute & Rules Section 250.5 Definitions
Reclassification - Reassignment of an existing position within a promotional line.
Reallocation - Reassignment of an existing position to a class which is a part of a different promotional line, or to a class which is not a part of any promotional line.
A request to reallocate or reclassify any existing position may originate with the incumbent and/or the employing unit. An updated position description that accurately reflects the current duties and responsibilities designated and having been performed for thirty days should be submitted through PeopleAdmin.
Processing After You Have Submitted Your Audit Request
Once the request has been submitted the following will occur:
- Following receipt of the updated position description, a position audit will be scheduled.
- A HR Coordinator will meet with the employee and/or the supervisor to review the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- In approximately thirty days, the employing unit and the employee will receive notification of the status of the request.
- If the position is approved for reclassification/reallocation, the employee must establish eligibility before she/he can be placed into the new classification by submitting a Request to Test form.
- The effective date of the reclassification/reallocation is the beginning of the pay period following the classification decision provided the employee has passed the appropriate exam for the new class in a previous pay period.
- If the position is retained at the current classification, or the employee is dissatisfied with the campus decision, the employee may appeal the decision to the Human Resources Deputy Director. The request must be submitted within thirty calendar days of the receipt of the campus decision.
Note: Should the department be unable to support the reclassification or reallocation, the HR Coordinator will advise the department as to how the job should be restructured in order to conform to the employee's current classification.
Your Human Resource Service Team is available to assist you, call the HRS Service Center at 815-753-6000.