Student Employment

You'll find many employment opportunities at NIU, including administrative and academic work. Having a job on campus can help you:

  • Refine your career goals.
  • Gain valuable work experience.
  • Finance your education.
  • Apply knowledge learned in the classroom.
  • Develop professional skills.

General Student Employment

There are four types of general student employment:

  • Regular student employment: These jobs are open to you if you meet general eligibility requirements.
  • Federal work-study employment: These jobs are open to you if you were awarded federal work-study as part of your financial aid package. You can earn up to the amount on your financial aid award letter.
  • Community service: These jobs require federal work-study and are located in the community or with off-campus agencies.
  • Internships: These consist of both regular and work-study employment. They allow you to apply what you've learned in the classroom and explore career interests. Internships can be paid or unpaid, and can result in academic credit.

On-campus employment opportunities are advertised on Huskies Get Hired. Create a free account on Huskies Get Hired to search and apply for hundreds of internships and part-time and full-time jobs, including on-campus positions.

Search and apply for jobs.

Graduate Assistantships

There are three types of graduate assistantships:

  • Teaching assistant: Duties may include providing instruction in the classroom or other settings, tutoring and mentoring students, and grading tests and assignments.
  • Research assistant: Duties may include conducting research and experiments, analyzing data, presenting findings, and collaborating with others to prepare publications.
  • Staff assistant: Duties may include serving as a resident adviser, counselor, academic adviser, office support or library assistant.

An appointment's classification is determined by the hiring department, Human Resource Services and the dean of the Graduate School.

You must complete and submit an assistantship application (PDF) to the department in which you seek an assistantship.

Contact Us

Human Resource Services
Human Resources/Document Services Building
1515 West Lincoln Highway
P: 815-753-6000
F: 815-753-2335

Ask HR a question

State and Federal Notices

Back to top