If it appears you will be disabled for more than 60 days and that your disability will extend beyond the period you are eligible for sick pay, you should request a Disability Application form from the Human Resource Service's Insurance office. Your application must be on file with SURS within one calendar year after the date on which you disability occurred.
- SURS approves/denies request
- Exhaust all sick benefits first (advised to use vacation)
- Faculty Members: Extension of the Tenure Probationary Period
- SURS Disability Benefit
- SURS Disability FAQ
- Questions, contact the HRS Service Center at 815-753-6000.
- Once the leave is approved turn in keys / NIU equipment
- NOTE: Always keep your contact information up to date. To change address, name or update emergency contact information complete the Personal Data - Name Address Form
DISCLAIMER: The information contained in the Life Events section is a summary and may not include all conditions, limitations, or exceptions that may be applicable to a particular situation. Every effort has been made to present current information without inaccuracies; however, errors, additions, deletions, and changes in the laws or procedures may occur and could make the information out of date or inaccurate. Therefore, users of this website are advised of their responsibility to contact the HRS Service Center (815-753-6000) directly for specific information relating to benefits and to confirm the accuracy and completeness of the posted information.