Quick Start Guide
The following is a quick summary to help guide you through the process of getting permission from the State of Illinois to properly destroy University records under the Illinois State Records Act. A formal University policy is currently in development with an anticipated release in early 2017. In the meantime, please use the following guidelines and contact the University’s Records Officer at RecordsManagement@niu.edu if you have any questions.
If you desire to dispose of University records – electronic or hard copy – you need to receive permission from the State beforehand. If the records have historical or administrative value, or your records schedule requires submission to University Archives please contact the university archivist at 815-753-1779 or email@example.com To start, please consult the applicable records retention schedules below to find the record/records series you wish to dispose.
- Submit form to Records Officer
- Records Officer will submit request
- Records Officer will notify the department of the approval after permission has been obtained (the 30 days has passed)
- Once approval has been received the department can destroy in a secure manner
PATH A – The Record/Records Series is Already Covered in an Existing Records Retention Schedule
- If the record/record series is found in an applicable records retention schedule, and the time frame for destruction has passed, please complete the State Records Disposal Certificate.
- Then, please submit the completed records disposal form to the University’s Records Officer in Human Resource Services.
- The Records Officer will review the completed form and either: (1) return the form for clarification, or (2) submit the completed form to the State of Illinois for approval.
- Once approved by the State of Illinois, the record/records series at issue can be properly disposed of.
PATH B – The Record/Records Series is NOT Already Covered in an Existing Records Retention Schedule
- If the record/records series is NOT found in the records retention schedules, please e-mail the University’s Records Officer to establish a new retention schedule for the record/records series. This new retention schedule needs to be approved by the State of Illinois.
- The University’s Records Officer will submit the final new records retention schedule to the State of Illinois for approval. The Records cannot be destroyed until the record series is approved. If the state has approved the destruction of the records see "Path A".
- Once approved by the State of Illinois, please follow the steps under "PATH A" identified above in order to secure permission from the State of Illinois to finally dispose of the records/records series.